← Return to Blog
- Call Hays + Sons as soon as you notice the damage at 800-536-4056.
- Keep temperature below 65 degrees if possible.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Open suitcases and luggage to dry, in sunlight, if possible.
- Pick up loose items, toys, etc. off the floor.
- Do NOT turn the heat up. This accelerates mold and mildew growth.
- Do NOT leave wet fabrics in place as they should be dried as soon as possible.
- Do NOT leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
- Do NOT use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Do NOT use TV’s or other household appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially on wet concrete floors.
- Do NOT turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.