Unexpected storm damage can wreak havoc on your peace of mind. One of the best ways to minimize both the emotional and structural effects of storm damage is to be prepared. In any season, Mother Nature can deliver storms that deliver devastating results to your home, your business and your ability to go about your day-to-day life. Don’t let storm damage get the best of you.
Preventing storm damage (both structural and emotional)
One of the best ways to minimize both the physical and emotional effects of storm damage is to take preventative maintenance and preparation steps before a storm occurs. These steps can include:
What to do during a storm.
Once a storm begins, your main priority is keeping your family safe. Here are some things you should be thinking about:
- Have a plan if the power goes out.
- Make sure your family knows where to meet if cell service is disrupted.
- If you have a flooded basement during the storm, stay away from flooded areas until they’re inspected by a disaster restoration professional.
What to do about storm damage.
Don’t panic. As long as no one was hurt, you can easily get things back to normal. It might be hard to figure out what to do first. Here’s a checklist to help you sort things out.
- Call a disaster restoration company. They’ll be able to help you mitigate the initial damage, whether that’s boarding up damage to your buildings or stopping the flow of water. They’ll document the damage for your insurance agent and help you find the right contractors.
- Contact your insurance agent. Your disaster restoration company will work with them and help provide estimates for the storm damage repair work needed to facilitate your claim.
- Inventory your personal possessions to see what was damaged. Even if your belongings have gotten wet and seem to be ruined, your disaster restoration company might be able to salvage more than you think.
- Keep calm. Focusing on getting things back to normal after storm damage occurs will ease your peace of mind.
About Hays + Sons
For more than 38 years, Hays + Sons has been the property restoration company that families, businesses and schools trust. We’re committed to helping you be prepared when the unexpected strikes, and whether you just want tips for what to do during a storm and storm damage prevention or currently have storm damage, Hays + Sons has the capacity and expertise to help you get back to normal ASAP.
The compassionate, experienced, and trusted residential restoration experts in water, fire, mold, storm, personal property, and board up at Hays + Sons are just a phone call away, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
If you’re in need of storm damage restoration, get in touch with us at one of our offices across Indiana or in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Storm damage restoration near Columbus, IN
Storm damage restoration near Cincinnati, OH
Storm damage restoration near Crown Point
Storm damage restoration near Fort Wayne
Storm damage restoration near Indianapolis
Storm damage restoration near Lafayette
Storm damage restoration near Muncie