Sniffing, sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, itchy nose–all of these symptoms sound like a pesky spring cold or seasonal allergies. They’ll run their course and be gone, right? Maybe. But if they’re not gone in due time, you should look for another source for those maladies. That source could be growing right under your nose. It just might be mold.
Mold is an adaptable fungi that can live just about anywhere. The only thing it really needs to grow is a little moisture. If that moisture happens to be in your walls, basement, attic, carpet or anywhere else that isn’t easily visible, mold could be thriving in your home and making your family sick. Children, elderly people and anyone who is already prone to respiratory issues, such as asthmatics, are particularly at risk. It’s important to contact a mold remediation or restoration company if you suspect that you have moisture in your home to check for and remove the mold as soon as possible.
Mold spores are pretty much unavoidable. You may not be able to see them, but mold spores are in the air we breathe and most likely somewhere in your home. That may or may not become a larger issue for you and your family. If you don’t know much about mold, you’re not alone. Read on to learn the answers to the most frequently asked questions from homeowners about mold in their homes and what they should do about it. Continue reading “Mold FAQ: What Should I Know About Mold in my Home?”
Mold. That discolored, fuzzy-looking fungus that lives both inside and out, and spreads quickly in humidity. While some molds can be beneficial to the environment, when it comes to personal property, mold can be a real pest.
Yes, we said a four-letter word that no business or homeowner ever wants to hear, and unfortunately, we weren’t referring to pest. Mold causes several issues, including property damage and sickness if not treated immediately. Even worse, once mold has made its new home, it can become difficult to treat. But, there is hope, and Hays+Sons can get your home or business back to life – without further damage or stress.
What causes mold?
Mold usually forms in warm, dark spaces, resulting from appliance and pipe leaks, or even a spill that goes untouched. If left untreated, the potential for mold to grow and spread is likely. According to the Centers for Disease Control, mold can spread within 72 hours following a leak. Therefore, it’s important to call a professional and immediately address the problem. Hays+Sons employs experts who carry the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), and are trained in mold remediation. Together with a third party sampling company, these experts will conduct a thorough and meticulous removal process. It’s our business, and we’re all about working with you to reduce the stress that often comes when disaster strikes. This is our approach.
Time for “dry” cleaning
When leaks are sprung, time is of the essence, and drying the area quickly is critical to stop the growth and spread of mold.
“In our experience, we have learned that people sometimes assume everything is fine if the area looks dry. But, just as time is important in addressing mold, it also can take weeks for an area to completely dry,” says Booby Slaymon, a Hays+Sons project and mold manager. “This creates moisture behind walls, baseboards or in the carpet — and it’s a favorable environment for mold.”
Before every job, we inspect the area, and recommend the best course of action. Following approval from you and your insurance company, we use HEPA vacs, fans and dehumidifiers to restore order and return your property to pristine shape. To do this, we will employ the help of a HEPA filtration system on every job because it is a means of containing and preventing cross-contamination.
Along with establishing filtration, our experts will establish critical barriers and calculate the number of needed air changes per hour.
“We will always have at least four per hour,” says Slaymon. And following every job, we will recommend that customers have their air ducts cleaned and maintained by a licensed professional.”
What you should know
Mold is not only damaging to property, but if ignored, it can be hazardous to your health. Specifically, black mold or “toxic mold,” which is visible by its dark color, can wreak havoc not only in homes and businesses, but it could also be what’s making you sick. If you’ve had recent property damage and are now experiencing symptoms, it could be a sign of black mold. Do not assume this will leave by doing nothing. Likewise, if you are pregnant, a senior citizen or have an immune-suppressive condition, call us, your doctor, and be mold-aware with these ten facts from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
It goes without saying – mold, and its effects on homes and businesses are devastating. While we hope you never have to deal with it, if and when disaster strikes and mold follows, we’ll be ready to help 24/7 – and we won’t be offended if you say that four-letter word.